Exhausted, that’s how I felt when my Facebook launch party ended. Three hours of chatting online, asking trivia questions, keeping track of winners, and answering questions.
This is the story of how I created and hosted my first launch party.
Preparation for the event.
- Create a banner to announce your event. I used Canva.com. It’s free.
- Set up event on Facebook. Remember to make the event public or only your friends can see it.
- Put the back description of your novel at the top of the page with a link to where your book is sold. You can use booklinker.net to create a link that will take the person to the amazon site of their home country.
- Invite all your friends and ask them to share your post.
- Send a reminder the day before and the morning of the event.
- Have something to give away. I had 14 books donated by other authors. My publisher recommended not to give away DESCENT as it is a new release. I limited each winner to two books.
- Create trivia questions. My questions were all related to the books being given away by other authors, but you ask anything really. I created questions from the Amazon site for the books donated so people could look up the answers and there would be no confusion about the correct answer.
- Have winners direct message you with their email address. I only gave away eBooks to make the process easy and less costly for donating authors. People could attend your event from different countries and mailing a paperback could get expensive.
- If books are being given away, take a screen shot of the book cover from Amazon and post it with the trivia question. Don’t add the link to Amazon as the answer to your question might show up too.
- Keep the trivia questions and answers in a word document so you can cut and paste them instead of having to type them as you go. Things move fast in a launch.
- Create a list of pre-posts in word in case things get slow. I only used a couple of the ones I created. This could be a question about reading, your books or anything your guests might be interested in.
- send an email to donating authors with email of person who won their book. The donating author will send their book directly to the winner.
- Watch the site in the days following the launch. Sometimes people come on later just to comment or ask a question.
- Update your Facebook banner to remove the banner announcing the launch and replace with new banner.
- Once you add the updated banner, remember to add the shop now button. Again I used the Booklinker.net link so the reader could be taken to their relevant amazon site.