Time and dates can be straight forward or complicated.
- Are you writing a novel that happens in order of events?
- Do you jump back and forth in time?
- Are you writing a time travel novel?
The farther down the list you go, the more complicated keeping track of timing becomes. My novels are in the order the events occur, and I can’t imagine how difficult it is to keep track of a time travel novel.
On a basic level, I use a calendar on my computer. I put key events on a day. This helps me make sure I didn’t make an error.
Things I check include:
- day of week in a scene
- scenes are in order
- an event isn’t happening on a day off, a statutory holiday etc. when a person wouldn’t be at work
- clues aren’t referenced before they happen
- when villain is introduced
What tools to you use?
I made a calendar in Excel but is there anything better out there. I’d really like to know.
Thanks for reading . . .